History of the Wakefield and Tetley Trust
The Wakefield and Tetley Trust was created on 1 January 2008 through a merger of two charities – the Charity of Charlotte Tetley in connexion with Toc H, or Tetley Trust, and the Wakefield (Tower Hill Trinity Square) Trust, known usually simply as the Wakefield Trust. The man who inspired the creation of both these Trusts was the Reverend P B (“Tubby”) Clayton, founder of Toc H. Tubby Clayton was also the inspiration for the Tower Hill Improvement Trust (now Tower Hill Trust) – see www.towerhilltrust.org.uk. More information about Tubby Clayton can be found on the Toc H website, www.toch.org.uk.
In 1922, Tubby Clayton was appointed Vicar of All Hallows by the Tower, a position which he continued to hold until 1962. He was appointed by the then Archbishop of Canterbury, Randall Davidson, whose intention it was that this post would give Clayton a base for the development of his continuing work as Founder Padre of Toc H.
The Tetley Trust was established in 1931. Mrs Charlotte Tetley purchased the freehold of a house in Trinity Square, London EC3, and also gave an additional sum of money. The Trust Deed provided that the house should be used as a residence for the clergy of All Hallows by the Tower, or for various other charitable purposes, and that the money should be used to maintain the house, and for other charitable purposes in connection with the parish of All Hallows or with Toc H. In essence, these continued to be the purposes of the Tetley Trust throughout its history, and the house is currently the residence of the Vicar of All Hallows. A Charity Commission Order of 1 November 1966 provided that the Charity should be administered and managed by the Trustees of the Wakefield Trust.
The Wakefield Trust was established in 1937. Lord Wakefield, who together with Tubby Clayton was one of the original nine Trustees, gave to the Trust a number of houses in the vicinity of Tower Hill, to be used “for such charitable purposes as will be most conducive to the development of Tower Hill and Trinity Square as a centre of welfare work or as a centre from which welfare work can be conducted”. A biography of Lord Wakefield can be found here.
The surrounding neighbourhood was defined as the City of London plus the area within a one mile radius of 41 Trinity Square. The Trustees were permitted by the Deed to determine the charitable purposes for which the houses should be held, but the Deed spelt out the following appropriate uses:
- a headquarters of Toc H or another suitable charity
- a hostel for young men engaged in welfare work
- clubs for young men and women
- educational or recreational use in connection with any of the above.
By an Order dated 13 March 1956, the Charity Commissioners allowed the Trustees to let any part of the Trust’s property when it was not required for the purposes of the Charity. For some time most of the properties continued to be used in ways similar to those originally envisaged.
In 1973 the Trust’s property at 7 The Crescent became vacant and Peter East, the Toc H worker who ran the Tetley Trust hostel at 42 Trinity Square, asked the Trust whether he might use Number Seven to provide accommodation for young Bangladeshi men recently arrived in this country. Number Seven not only provided accommodation for some 20 young men; it became a centre for the whole community. Some of the first Bengali community organisations were founded at Number Seven and Peter East’s work there bred a generation of leaders. By 1983 Peter felt that Number Seven’s work was done and he found alternative accommodation for the remaining residents. He himself decided to take early retirement and go to live in Bangladesh for five years. During that time he founded a remarkable education and welfare project, which continues to expand and develop, now run entirely by local people. More information about this work can be found at www.khasdobir.org.uk.
By this time changing social needs, and also the changing character of the area where the houses were located, made a different pattern of activity more appropriate. The Trust’s properties (with one exception) were let on a commercial basis, and the resulting income was used to make grants for charitable work within a one-mile radius of Trinity Square. Grants went to Toc H and to All Hallows, but also to a large number of other charities working within the area – increasingly including North Southwark, which was within the one-mile radius. The Trustees decided that in making grants, they would give priority to charities and projects which aimed to benefit the elderly, and to advance the status of women. However, these priorities were never exclusive, and grants were given for many other projects which helped the people of the area.
It became increasingly apparent that the continuing existence of two separate Trusts with the same Trustees, employing the same staff, and with objects which overlapped to such a considerable extent, was not really serving any useful purpose, since the Tetley Trust had in practice no independent grant-making policy of its own. Instead, there was simply an unnecessary administrative burden – for example, the two Trusts had to continue to issue separate annual reports and accounts.
The Trustees also came to the view that the restriction of grant-making to a one-mile radius from Trinity Square was an unnecessary complication. The area did not correspond to any administrative boundaries, which made it difficult to collect information on social needs. It was also difficult, without disproportionate effort, for charities applying for grants to say how many of their clients came from within the area.
Accordingly, in 2006 an approach was made to the Charity Commission asking if they would be willing to make a Scheme for the merging of the two Trusts, and for the expansion of the area of benefit to include the whole of the London Boroughs of Tower Hamlets and Southwark, as well as of the City of London. After detailed discussions, the Charity Commission adopted a Scheme to this effect on 12 October 2007. The new Trust, to be known as the Wakefield and Tetley Trust, was registered as charity no. 1121779. Its objects are defined by the Scheme as:
- To relieve the inhabitants of the area of benefit (defined as the City, Tower Hamlets and Southwark) who are in need by virtue of their age, financial hardship or sickness by the provision or support of appropriate facilities, programmes or other initiatives.
- Any other charitable purpose in connection with the Parish (of All Hallows by the Tower) or Toc H.